This edition of SEA is in partnership with FNWI. We are proud to announce an extra SEA event, as usual we will have two talks: one academic and one industry talk, followed by drinks. This Friday, we will have a talk by Jeff Dalton from the University of Glasgow (previously Google) and another by Gary Ren from Microsoft. Their talks will cover conversational search and conversational question answering respectively.
On November 17, Christophe Van Gysel will defend his PhD thesis “Remedies Against the Vocabulary Gap in Information Retrieval” in the Agnietenkapel of the University of Amsterdam, at 12.00hrs.
This edition of SEA is in partnership with FNWI. As usual we will have two talks: one academic and one industry talk, followed by drinks. This Friday, we will have a talk by Harrie Oosterhuis from ILPS about Online Evaluation and another by Or Levi from Marktplaats.nl/Ebay about Sponsored Search.
As part of the Vox-POL research exchange program, Mark Burdick (Bremen) visits ILPS for a period of three months.
All your favorite IR measures from trec_eval are now available in Python! Today, ILPS-er Christophe Van Gysel releases pytrec_eval, a Python interface to TREC’s evaluation tool, trec_eval. It is an attempt to stop the cultivation of custom implementations of Information Retrieval evaluation measures for the Python programming language. See https://github.com/cvangysel/pytrec_eval
The following papers by ILPS-ers were accepted at CIKM 2017:
- Active Sampling for Large-scale Information Retrieval Evaluation by Dan Li and Evangelos Kanoulas
- Balancing Speed and Quality in Online Learning to Rank for Information Retrieval by Harrie Oosterhuis and Maarten de Rijke
- Classy: A visual analytics environment for supervised text classification and model evaluation by Ilias Koutsakis, Evangelos Kanoulas, George Tsatsaronis and Eamonn Maguire
- Learning to Attend, Copy, and Generate for Session Based Query Suggestion by Mostafa Dehghani, Sascha Rothe, Enrique Alfonseca and Pascal Fleury
- Online Expectation-Maximization for Click Models by Ilya Markov, Alexey Borisov, Maarten de Rijke
- Reply With: Proactive Recommendation of Email Attachments by Christophe Van Gysel, Bhaskar Mitra, Matteo Venanzi, Roy Rosemarin, Grzegorz Kukla, Piotr Grudzien and Nicola Cancedda
- Sensitive and Scalable Online Evaluation with Theoretical Guarantees by Harrie Oosterhuis and Maarten de Rijke
- Words are Malleable: Computing Semantic Shifts in Political and Media Discourse by Hosein Azarbonyad, Mostafa Dehghani, Kaspar Beelen, Alexandra Arkut, Maarten Marx, and Jaap Kamps
This edition of SEA is in partnership with FNWI. As usual we will have two talks: one academic and one industry talk, followed by drinks. This Friday, we will have a talk by Alexey Borisov (Yandex and University of Amsterdam) and Manos Tsagkias from 904Labs. The talks are focused on the topic of learning from user behavior.